What are VOC's and what's bad about them?
According to the U.S. National Library of Medicine (NIH), VOC's (Volatile Organic Compounds) are compounds that easily become vapors or gases. VOC's are released from burning fuel such as gasoline, wood, coal, or natural gas. They are also released by many common consumer products, such as: building materials and furnishings, cleaners and disinfectants, air fresheners, cigarettes, glues, adhesives, solvents, paints and thinners, hobby and craft supplies, wood preservatives, and copy machines and printers.
VOC's can enter the body through both inhalation (breathing) and skin contact, and can pose a variety of range short and long term health risks, including irritation of eyes and respiratory tract, headaches, dizziness, nausea, memory problems, damage to the liver, kidneys and central nervous system, and even cancer.